5 Signs You Need to Replace Your Home Wiring
The majority of homeowners never think about what’s behind their walls. But, whenever you use your toaster or flick upon a light switch, you draw on the internal wiring of your home – and that can cause major problems if the wiring is damaged or old.
In fact, according to data from the NFPA, electrical malfunctions and failures are responsible for nearly four out of every five residential fires – and these fires accounted for 83% of civilian deaths, hundreds of injuries, and billions of dollars in property damage.
However, many residential fires can be prevented if homeowners get their wiring replaced in a timely manner. But how do you know if your home wiring is old or damaged? Fortunately, there are some warning signs…
Dimming or Flickering Lights
If you turn on a high-power appliance, such as a vacuum cleaner or microwave, and you notice the lights starting to dim or flicker, it could be a sign your wiring is overloaded. As a safety precaution, inspect the circuit breaker and wiring to that area of the house.
All the switches and outlets in your home should be cool when you touch them if they’re getting hot when being used, or you’ve noticed scorch marks on any of them, it could be an indication that something’s not right with your wiring.
Circuit Breakers That Keep Tripping
If your circuit breakers keep tripping and you’re constantly resetting them, there’s a good probability that there’s excessive load on the circuits. A trusted local electrician can assist you in assessing the load on the circuits, and recommend the right solution.
Frayed or Cracked Wiring
Wires can crack or fray from corrosion, bending, heat, or age. Also, they can get pinched, nicked, or pierced by screws or nails. It really goes without saying that damaged wires are a major safety hazard, and should be replaced immediately by a professional electrician.
Smoke issuing from an appliance or outlet is a surefire sign that there’s something wrong. Even the smallest hint of smoke should be your cue to turning off all appliances and called in a professional electrician to check for any issues. Turning the main circuit breaker off until the source of the smoke is located is also a good idea.
Whether you want a few light fixtures installed, or need complete home wiring replacement, you can rely on BG Electric Service LLC to get the job done on time and within budget. One of Philadelphia’s leading electricians, they provide services to both residential and commercial clients. Get in touch to schedule an appointment.